At Northminster, we are excited about our future and thankful for our past. The need for a Presbyterian church in the northwest area of Roanoke was first noticed by Dr. C.C. Campbell, who was the pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Roanoke from 1881 to 1924. Dr. Campbell and Mr. A.M. Coulter donated two lots on the northwest corner of Williamson Road and Huntington Boulevard for the purposing of constructing a church building. The church was to be named Northminster.
Many years elapsed, though, before Northminster Presbyterian Church came into being. Dr. Charles A. Logan, a retired missionary known for his acumen in organizing and building churches, moderated the charter meeting on March 1, 1942, with sixty-five charter members present and three elders and three deacons being elected. Worship services were conducted at Oakland School until the fall of 1943 when Northminster’s first church building was constructed on the donated site.
Growth led to the purchase of the present church site, where groundbreaking services were held on October 4, 1959. The first worship service held in the new building was on August 19, 1960, and on April 17, 1977, Northminster celebrated the completion of the present sanctuary. God has blessed Northminster Church by enriching the lives of her members and by using her to glorify his name in the community. Our prayer is that these blessings will continue and that the church’s ministry will grow in faithfulness, fruition, and dedication.
Our history was pioneered by dedication women and men too numerous to mention here, and it has been assisted by a number of able staff members. Leading their work and worship throughout the years have been Northminster’s pastors: Charles A. Logan, Donald L. Erwin, Luther L. Price, Peter G. Cosby III, Thomas K. Farmer, John D. Sadler, David A. Kirk, and C. Todd Hester.