What does all this mean? Well, it means a lot, actually, but there are some basic and important things to remember:
- God is sovereign and almighty. The conquest of good over evil is already assured.
- God is fully revealed in Christ Jesus, who died to reconcile us to our heavenly Father, to each other, to the world, and to ourselves. Since we are by our very nature sinful (or ‘broken’ if a different word helps), Christ’s death saves us from all the pain and hurt and loneliness that such brokenness causes.
- We cannot earn God’s favor through the accumulation of good deeds or reputation or wealth or anything else; we are accepted by God only because of Jesus’ sacrifice for us.
- Christ is with our Father and sends the Holy Spirit to be the presence and power of God among us. The Spirit charters the Church and gives it its vision and vigor.
- We, to borrow from another Creed, look for the coming of Christ’s kingdom, when the fullness of peace and love and justice and harmony will be realized. That will be a kingdom into which we are resurrected and in which we will live forever.